By Clive Maby G4NAQ
NAQLog Logbook development started in September 2021 initially to teach myself VB.Net. During CHOTA 2021 SARC decided to use some free logging software but that had its own quirks which became quite frustrating for some users. I therefore decided to familiarise myself with Microsoft Visual Studio and VB.Net to develop something we could use at the club. NAQLog is the result.
Whilst software such Swisslog and N1MM are excellent they are fairly complex and require the operators to be familiar with them. For events such as CHOTA and JOTA these are not a good option for inexperienced operators.
The main requirements were
- a SQL database (as my background a long time ago was based on developing with SQL)
- no separate software installations or components
SQLite was chosen as the database due to its lightweight nature and a handful of useful 3rd party applications to help with the development.
- Basic logging with “dupe” checking
- Automatic date and time logging in UTC (when callsign entered & when QSO logged)
- Log Editor and Search facilities
- Retention of settings – event callsign, event name, locator and mode, CAT settings
- Log Management – Delete/recreate/backup the logbook, multiple logbook support and reset settings
- Validation – RST, Maidenhead locators are validated
- Reports change to 2 digit reports when not using CW
- Export data to ADIF, Cabrillo and CSV file format for use with other logging software, databases and printing
- Import data from ADIF or CSV format (as specified) – audit file produced following import
- Optional operator field (useful for JOTA, CHOTA type events)
- Printing of complete logbook or date range
- CAT support to provide basic “read” support to read the mode and frequency data. If enabled band and mode options are disabled. (Kenwood, ICOM & Yaesu)
The initial versions of the software were released to club members for testing but now we thought some other people may wish to try & use it.
The software is supplied as a zip file and an installer. This file has been verified using https://www.virustotal.com/.
If you find any problems or issues with the software I will investigate them and you can contact me via this link on the website contact G4NAQ
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.